Food for action – The Hindu (Aug 09, 2017)
The National Food Security Act, 2013, has met with prolonged political indifference, but there is some hope now since the Centre has been asked by the Supreme Court to ensure that States implement key aspects of the progressive law. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- prolonged (adjective) – continuous, ongoing, persistent.
- indifference (noun) – lack of concern/interest, apathy, disregard, carelessness.
- underscore (verb) – call attention to, emphasize, highlight.
- grievance (noun) – complaint, criticism, objection/protest.
- redress (verb) – remedy, compensation, reparation/restitution.
- heed (verb) – pay attention to, notice, listen to.
- invoke (verb) – evoke, induce, cause.
- political will (noun) – political intention/desire (to complete a scheme/project even if it is not admired/welcomed in the beginning).
- egalitarian (adjective) – common, equal; fair.
- merit (noun) – strong point, advantage, benefit.
- ceiling (noun) – upper limit, cap, maximum.
- distress (noun) – difficulty, hardship, adversity.
- intervention (noun) – the action of intervening.