Raging rupee – The Hindu (Aug 08, 2017)
The Indian rupee has turned out to be one of the best-performing currencies in the world with a gain of well over 6% against the U.S. dollar this year to date. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- turn out (phrasal verb) – become known, become apparent, transpire/emerge.
- bearish (adjective) – relating to someone who believe/characterize trends in the currency, commodity or stock markets.
- turn the tide (phrase) – reverse the trend of events.
- portfolio (noun) – a range of investments, shares, holdings.
- equity market – stock/share market. The market for trading equity instruments (like common stock shares).
- debt market – bond market. The market where debt instruments (like bonds (government or corporate) and mortgages) are traded.
- rattle (verb) – disturb, upset, shake.
- taper tantrum (noun) – it is the term used to refer US Federal bank’s trimming of the amount of money it was feeding into the economy and which resulted sudden increase in its treasury.
- hawkish (adjective) – aggressive, belligerent, warring.
- inflation (noun) – increase of price level of goods & services & vice versa decrease of currency value.
- shell out (phrasal verb) – pay, spend (more/excessively).
- deficit (noun) – shortfall, deficiency, shortage.
- in tandem (phrase) – along side each other.
- appreciation (noun) – increase/rise, gain, growth.
- tinker with (verb) – try to improve, play around with, try to mend.
- retaliatory (adjective) – termed as a revenge against someone.
- bode (well) (verb) – augur, portend, predict (a good outcome/result).
- fiddle (verb) – tinker, play about, meddle.
- foolhardy (adjective) – reckless,incautious, careless/heedless.
- take something for granted (phrase) – assume, presume, suppose.
- invariably (adverb) – always, every time, without fail/exception.
- exert (verb) – apply, employ, exercise.
- muster (verb) – gather together, congregate, assemble.
- will (noun) – determination, firmness, wish/desire.
Cick here to join our Facebook Group for Latest update and preparation tips and queries