In ordering that lease-holders should pay compensation to the extent of 100% of the price of the quantum of minerals they had illegally extracted, the Supreme Court has gone beyond… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- rapacity (noun) – greed, avarice/cupidity, covetousness/acquisitiveness.
- lay down (phrasal verb) – formulate, stipulate, frame.
- quantum (noun) – amount, proportion/quantity; portion/division.
- affirmation (noun) – assertion, declaration, statement.
- stringent (adjective) – strict, precise, firm/rigid.
- indulge in (verb) – involve (in an undesirable action).
- flout (verb) – defy/disdain, refuse to obey, disregard (a rule).
- deplete (verb) – exhaust, use up/consume, decrease/diminish.
- enforce (verb) – force, compel, demand/insist on.
- vested interest (noun) – personal/private interest of a person/group.
- nerve (noun) – courage, boldness, audacity;
- scourge (noun) – affliction, bane, burden.
- conserve (verb) – preserve, protect, maintain/safeguard.
- flag (verb) – indicate, identify, point out.
- bear in mind (phrase) – take into account, remember, consider.