Kenya’s elections typically have not just highly charged campaigns, but they are protracted affairs after the vote too, with fierce contestation over the result and often violence. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- protracted (adjective) – very long, prolonged, extended/extensive.
- provisional (adjective) – interim, temporary; tentative.
- incumbent (noun) – a person who is in office and holds power; functionary, official.
- at variance (phrase) – inconsistent, conflicting, contrary.
- overhaul (noun) – revamp, recondition, service/modernisation.
- curiously (adverb) – strangely, unusually, surprisingly.
- linger (verb) – wait around, stay, remain.
- tally (noun) – total, score, result.
- returning officer (noun) – a government official who conducts election & declares results.
- break down (phrasal verb) – stop working, cease to function/work, go wrong.
- grist to the (or one’s) mill (phrase) – useful experience, material, or knowledge.
- exude (verb) – emanate, send out, display a strong emotion openly.
- cautious (adjective) – careful, heedful, wary/circumspect.
- reshuffle (noun) – reorganization, rearrangement, upheaval/change.
- mar (verb) – spoil, ruin, impair/damage.
- prerequisite (noun) – necessary condition, essential, requirement.
- in the light of (phrase) – taking into consideration/account, keeping in mind, in view of.
- shortcomings (noun) – defect, fault, flaw.
- muscle power (noun) – influence, power/force, strength.
- deteriorate (verb) – worsen, spoil, decline.