Two months after the India-Afghanistan air corridor was inaugurated with great expectations, news that it has been hit by a shortage of cargo planes is a cause for concern. .. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- castles in the air (or in Spain) (phrase) – daydreams; any plan, desire, or idea that is unlikely to be realized.
- obstructionist (adjective) – relating to the practice of purposefully delaying legal procedures.
- underwrite (verb) – sponsor, support/back, insure.
- tarmac (noun) – a runway; a type of road surfacing material; it refers airport runway here.
- perishable (adjective) – relating things, especially foods, likely to decay quickly.
- produce (noun) – agricultural products, foodstuffs.
- chartered (adjective) – rented/hired (aircraft or ship).
- teething troubles (phrase) – short-term/temporary problems while starting a new project.
- trilateral (adjective) – involving three nations/parties/groups.
- ratify (verb) – give consent (to agreement) or make agreement official; authorize, approve.
- tender (verb) – offer, present, propose/support.
- circumvent (verb) – bypass, avoid, dodge.
- heartening (adjective) – encouraging, boosting, reassuring.
- aground (adverb/adjective) – foundered, grounded, stuck/wrecked.