Daily Current Affairs of 9th August 2017
International Current Affairs
- Today (9th August) is International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples.
- This day is observed every year to promote and protect the rights of the world’s indigenous population.
- 2017 Theme : “10th Anniversary of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples“
- India ranked 43rd (last rank) in 2017 Global Retirement Index (GRI) published by French asset management company Natixis Global.
- Top 10 in the 2017 Global Retirement Index (GRI)
- New Zealand
- India has ratified the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol (an international GHGs emissions reduction treaty) also known as Doha Amendment, that commits countries to contain the emission of greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- In this regard, India deposited its Instrument of Acceptance of the Doha Amendment to the Kyoto Protocol.
- With this, India became the 80th country to accept the amendment relating to the second commitment period (2013- 2020) of the Kyoto Protocol.
- To curb infiltration by Pakistan, the Indian government is going to install a 24/7 seamless virtual fence with sensors along the India-Pakistan border.
National Current Affairs
- Today is Kranti Diwas (Quit India Day).
- This day observes the 75th anniversary of the Quit India movement.
- The iconic ‘Quit India’ slogan was coined by socialist Congress leader and then mayor of Bombay, Yusuf Meherally.
- Theme of Quit India Day : “Sankalp se Siddhi- the attainment through resolve”.
- Important Note :
- Prime Minister Modi termed the month of August as a month of revolutionas almost all the important national movements were started in this month and India got independence in this month.
- Non-cooperation movement started on 1st August 1920
- Quit-India movement on 9th August 1942
- India became independent on 15th August 1947
- The Union Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has released Swachh Survekshan Gramin 2017, third party survey report to assess the progress Swachh Bharat Mission in rural India
- The survey was undertaken by the Quality Council of India (QCI) between May and June 2017 to take into account status of rural sanitation in all States and UTs.
- This survey covered 4626 villages across all States and Union territories.
- The Union Home Ministry has merged three-decade old National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) with Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPRD).
- The merger aims at improving administrative efficiency and optimal utilisation of resources for development works related to policing. It will also boost crime data collection and research efforts.
Science & Technology
- 16-year-old Indian-origin student Kavya Kopparapu with her team has developed an AI system to recognise signs of a diabetic complication that damages blood vessels in the eye.
- The AI, trained with 34,000 retinal scans, can identify diabetic retinopathy and offers preliminary diagnosis.
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Google India have launched Android Skill Development programme to improve mobile developer ecosystem in the country.
- This programme aims to impart mobile development training on the android OS and web platform and also improve the quality of mobile app development ecosystem in India.
- Rio Olympics silver medalist PV Sindhu took charge as a Deputy Collector in the Andhra Pradesh government today.
- She will be on probation for two years, and execute a bond stating that she would serve the government for three years after the completion of training.
- BJP MP from Ajmer and former Union Minister Sanwar Lal Jat (62) passed away.
- He had previously served as Minister of State for Water Resources in Narendra Modi’s government.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- Answering the allegations of opposition parties, the Indian government today said that the new ₹500 and ₹2,000 notes have ‘single unique dimension’.
- The size of new ₹500 note is 66mm x 150mm
- The size of new of ₹2,000 note is 66mm x 166mm.
- The 2030 Water Resources Group (2030WRG) has decided to help the Maharashtra Government to raise $270 million from the Green Climate Fund (GCF).
- The amount raised will be invested in state government’s integrated watershed programmes such as Jalyukt Shivar Yojana which has successfully augmented the ground water in drought affected areas of the state.
- The Union Ministry of Shipping is planning to expand Logistics Data Bank (LDB) project to the country’s southern region.
- Note : As of now, the LDB had covered only the western logistics corridor.
Sports Current Affairs
- Spain based Real Madrid defeated Manchester United 2-1 to lift the UEFA Super Cup title today.
- Note : This is their 4th UEFA Super Cup title.