Daily Current Affairs of 6th August 2017
International Current Affairs
- 71st anniversary of Hiroshima atomic bombing is being observed today.
- More than 140,000 people were killed by the first of two uranium bombs, nicknamed Little Boy and Fat Man dropped on Japan at the end of the second world war.
- Note : An American B-29 bomber named Enola Gay dropped Little Boy, on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945.
- Japan surrendered days later on 15th August 1945 bringing the war to a close.
National Current Affairs
- The 3rd National Handloom Day is being observed today.
- Minister of Textiles : Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani
- India’s top three citizens now come from the BJP and RSS background.
- Ram Nath Kovind : President of India (India’s First Citizen)
- Venkaiah Naidu : Vice President of India (Second Citizen)
- Narendra Modi : Prime Minister (India’s Third citizen)
- In an attempt to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in agriculture, the Union Government is going to launch AGRI-UDAAN Food and Agribusiness Accelerator 2.0 programme.
- It will mentor startups and help them connect with potential investors.
Science & Technology
- India’s first private sector missile sub-systems manufacturing facility Kalyani Rafael Advanced Systems (KRAS) plant was inaugurated near Hyderabad, Telangana.
- This plant has been established line with government’s ‘Make in India’ initiative to encourage private sector participation in defence production.
- Russian firm Tactical Missiles Corporation is developing Artificial Intelligence-powered missiles that can make decisions like choosing a target by itself.
- ISRO and NASA are jointly working on a mission titled NISAR to co-develop and launch a dual frequency synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellite by 2021.
- NISAR – NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar
- Note : This satellite will be the world’s most expensive earth-imaging satellitetill date, costing around $1.5 billion.
MOUs & Agreements
- India has signed a loan agreement with China led-Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) for financing of $329 million for Gujarat Rural Roads Project (GRRP).
- Objective of GRRP : To improve the rural road connectivity and accessibility by providing all weather road connectivity to 1,060 villages in all the 33 districts of Gujarat, benefiting about 80 lakh people.
- The ISRO Telemetry Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) and CSIR-National Physical Laboratory (NPL) have signed MoU to make indigenous regional positioning system-NavIC independent from the US clock system.
- The Indian Railways has signed its 1st EPC (Engineering, Procurement, Construction) contract with Larsen and Turbo (L & T) for electrification of railway lines.
Sports Current Affairs
- India defeated Sri Lanka by an innings and 53 runs in the second Test today, taking an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match series.
- With this eighth straight Test series win, Indian captain Virat Kohli has surpassed Steve Waugh’s record of seven consecutive Test series wins as captain and is only behind Ricky Ponting, who won nine from 2005-2008.
- Eight-time Olympic gold medalist Usain Bolt lost his career’s last solo race, clinching the Bronze in the 100-metre sprint event at the IAAF World Championships in London today. ds in men’s 100 m