Daily Current Affairs of 5th August 2017
International Current Affairs
- US Defence Department has ordered an Army-wide ban on all consumer drones made by the world’s largest drone manufacturer DJI (Dà-Jiāng Innovations Science and Technology Co., Ltd), over “cyber vulnerabilities associated with its products”.
- The Army has also been ordered to uninstall all DJI applications and remove all batteries and media storage devices.
- Note : In the past, DJI drones were the most widely used by the Army.
National Current Affairs
- The Department of Collegiate Education of Karnataka today made biometric attendance compulsory for teachers in government and aided degree collegesto “improve accountability”.
- If colleges don’t update the attendance, the salaries of the teachers won’t be processed, as per the circular.
- The Maharashtra government today dedicated 10 motorbike ambulancesequipped with primary facilities to provide swift assistance to patients, as part of a pilot project.
- This will work as an emergency first responder medical service, which will be available through 108 free helpline and have teams of paramedics who will stabilise the patient until the four-wheeler ambulance arrives.
- MoS for Home Affairs Hansraj Ahir approved a proposal to rename the Mughalsarai railway station in UP after RSS ideologue Deendayal Upadhyaya.
- Note : The junction, India’s fourth busiest railway station, houses Asia’s largest railway marshalling yard.
- The Bengaluru International Airport, in partnership with Thumby Aviation Private Limited, will soon have India’s first helicopter-taxi service.
- The “HeliTaxi service: would ensure quick and seamless transfers to and from airport .
- Two helicopters have been designated for the purpose with plans to commission more when the demand increases.
- Civil Aviation Minister : Jayant Sinha
- Central Park located in Delhi’s Connaught Place will get facial recognition surveillance as part of a collaboration between New Delhi Municipal Corporation and NEC Corporation India.
- Two CCTV cameras have been deployed in the park through which the surveillance system will perform real-time matching of people entering the park against the NDMC’s watch list of pre-registered individuals.
- Economist Rajiv Kumar has been appointed as the new Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, a government think tank that replaced the Planning Commission.
- He is going to replace Arvind Panagariya who stepped down from the post on Tuesday.
- BJP-led NDA’s candidate and former Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu was elected India’s 15th Vice-President.
- Important Note : With this, BJP has occupied top three constitutional posts of India – President, Vice-President, and Prime Minister – for the first time.
- The US Senate has confirmed three Indian-Americans picked by President Donald Trump for key governmental posts.
- The three Indian-Americans are :
- Neil Chatterjee : Member of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Vishal Amin : Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator
- Krishna R Urs. Chatterjee : US Ambassador to Peru
- Khawaja Asif has been appointed as the new Pakistani Foreign Minister.
- Important Note : With this, he became the first full-time leader to hold the post since 2013.
- The US Senate has confirmed Woody Johnson, heir to the Johnson and Johnson pharmaceutical empire and the owner of the New York Jets football team, as the next US Ambassador to UK.
- Darshan Lal has become the first Hindu to be inducted in Pakistan’s cabinet of ministers in over 20 years.
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath today announced the appointment of actor Akshay Kumar as the Brand Ambassador of Swachh Bharat Mission in UP.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- IndusInd Bank today became the 6th Indian bank whose market capitalisation soared past the ₹1 lakh crore-mark.
- Note : HDFC Bank is the country’s most valued bank with a market cap of ₹4.6 lakh crore, followed by State Bank of India, and ICICI Bank.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today launched ‘Bharat 22‘ exchange-traded-fund (ETF) to divest government assets in 22 state-run and private firms.
- The fund will have a diversified portfolio of companies from six sectors with a 20% cap on each sector and a 15% cap on each stock.
- ICICI Prudential will manage the fund.
Sports Current Affairs
- Indian boxer Vijender Singh won his career’s second professional title, defeating China’s Zulpikar Maimaitiali to win the WBO Oriental Super Middleweight belt in Mumbai today.
- This is Vijender’s 9th professional victory, with the Olympic medalist being unbeaten since he turned pro in 2015.
- Note : Vijender now simultaneously holds two titles, including the WBO Asia Pacific Super Middleweight belt.
- Indian boxer Neeraj Goyat defended his WBC Asia Pacific Welterweight title against Philippines’ Allan Tanada today after a 12-round contest in Mumbai.
- Note : Indians Akhil Kumar and Kuldeep Dhanda also won their respective bouts in the junior welterweight and lightweight categories.
- India’s Ravindra Jadeja surpassed the likes of Anil Kumble and Kapil Dev to become the 2nd fastest Indian to reach 150 wickets in Test cricket.
- Jadeja, who achieved the feat in his 32nd Test match, became the fastest left-arm spinner in the world to achieve the feat, ahead of Sri Lanka’s Rangana Herath and former Indian captain Bishan Singh Bedi.