Daily Current Affairs of 31st July 2017
International Current Affairs
- Russian Navy today paraded about 50 ships and submarines and over 40 planes and helicopters of the naval aviation in the city of St Petersburg to mark the 321st anniversary of the country’s Navy.
- The Chinese Army today displayed more than 600 pieces of military hardware, nearly half of which were displayed for the first time in public, in a parade to mark its 90th founding anniversary.
- The world’s longest hanging pedestrian bridge, Europabrücke opened today near the Swiss town of Zermatt.
- The bridge, which is 494 metres high, hangs 85 metres above the Grabengufer ravine.
National Current Affairs
- The government is going to launch a crackdown on corrupt officials from August 15.
- Letters have been dispatched to various departments and paramilitary forces to finalise the list of corrupt officials by August 5.
- The list will be sent to Central Bureau of Investigation and Central Vigilance Commission who will keep a close watch and recommend necessary actions.
- According to National Centre for Seismology, 29 Indian cities and towns including Delhi fall under ‘severe’ to ‘very severe’ seismic (earthquake) zones.
- Important Points to Note :
- Different regions across the country were classified into earthquake zones II to V by Bureau of Indian Standards, with Zone V being the most active.
- Delhi, northern Uttar Pradesh and parts of Jammu and Kashmir fall under Zone IV.
- The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs has launched Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2 in Mumbai under the Jiyo Parsi scheme.
- The Jiyo Parsi Publicity Phase-2 aims at containing the declining trend of population of the Parsi community and reverses it to bring their population above the threshold level.
Awards & Honors
- 6th Big Zee Entertainment Awards 2017 (ZEA 2017) Winners
- Best Actor (Male) – Shahid Kapoor (Udta Punjab)
- Best Actor (Female) – Alia Bhatt (Udta Punjab)
- Most Entertaining Actor in Drama (Male) – Amitabh Bachchan
- Best Action Hero – Tiger Shroff (Baaghi)
- Most Entertaining Actor in Drama (Female) – Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
- Most Entertaining Dancer – Tiger Shroff (Beat Pe Booty)
- ‘हिट थे, हिट रहेंगे’ Award – Anupam Kher
- Most Entertaining Actor Comedy – Abhishek Bachchan (Housefull 3)
Science & Technology
- The US military successfully tested the Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) system by launching a ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean.
- Note : This comes after North Korea’s recent and second intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) test.
- Facebook has shut down one of its Artificial Intelligence systems after chatbots programmed to converse in English started speaking in their own language.
- Using machine learning algorithms, the bots were allowed to converse freely to strengthen their conversational skills.
- However, they began to deviate from the scripted norms and started speaking a new language created without human input.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) today cut interest rates on savings bank deposits by 0.50 percentage points effective July 31.
- For saving deposits balance up to ₹1 crore, SBI will offer an interest rate of 3.5% as compared to 4% earlier and for balance above ₹1 crore, the rate has been retained at 4% per annum.
- The Finance Ministry today announced that people can link their Aadhaar to their Permanent Account Number (PAN) till August 31, 2017.
- The government further announced that Income Tax Returns (ITR) will be processed only after the Aadhaar-PAN linking.
- Note : The government had extended the deadline for filing ITRs from July 31 to August 5.
- Maharashtra has topped the list for the maximum number of applications for fresh registration under Goods and Services Tax with over 1.3 lakh applications.
- Maharashtra is followed by Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh with 90,000 and 87,000 registrations, respectively.
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance and Max Life Insurance have called off their proposed merger after failing to win regulatory approval for a union that would’ve created an insurance giant with ₹1.1 lakh crore in assets.
- The potential merger would have created India’s largest private sector life insurer, surpassing ICICI Prudential Life Insurance, and would’ve been second only to state-run LIC.
Sports Current Affairs
- Ferrari’s Formula One racer Sebastian Vettel won the Hungarian Grand Prix title, finishing ahead of teammate Kimi Raikkonen and Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas.
- Indian shuttler C Rahul Yadav and the men’s doubles pair of Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy clinched the Men’s singles and men’s doubles title respectively at Lagos International challenge in Nigeria.
- The Indian boxing contingent at the 48th Grand Prix Usti Nad Labem in the Czech Republic claimed five gold medals, two silver and one bronze medal at the event.