Daily Current Affairs of 13th August 2017
International Current Affairs
- The 15th edition of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) ministerial meeting was recently held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The 2-day meet was inaugurated by Prime Minister of Nepal Sher Bahadur Deuba and was chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Krishna Bahadur Mahara.
- India was represented by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
- India and the US are going to co-host the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at Hyderabad ( Telangana) from 28th to 30th November 2017.
- American delegation will be led by US President Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump.
- The 3-day Summit will be organised by the NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog in coordination with Ministry of External Affairs.
National Current Affairs
- On the occasion of World Elephant Day (12th August) the Union Ministry of Environment and Forest has launched a nationwide campaign titled Gaj Yatra to protect elephants.
- The first phase of National Cyber Coordination Centre (NCCC) has become operational.
- NCCC is a multi-stakeholder cyber-security and e-surveillance agency implemented by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In), Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- It has been set up to scan the country’s web traffic to detect cyber security threats.
- It scans the cyberspace in the country for cyber security threats at metadata level to generate situational awareness.
- It will be India’s 1st layer for cyber threat monitoring and all communication with government and private service providers will be monitored by it.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The Multi Commodity Exchange Ltd (MCX) has received markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India’s (Sebi) approval to launch India’s first Gold options contract.
- The gold futures contract will have bi-monthly duration.
- The option will also have the existing gold kilo futures contract as its underlier.
- A landlocked country in Central Africa, the Republic of Chad is going to release a Limited edition Lord Krishna silver coin on Janmashtami in commemoration of the 5,244th birth anniversary of the Hindu God.
- To train women entrepreneurs in the state, the Odisha government and social networking giant Facebook have jointly launched a programme titled ‘SheMeansBusiness’.
- Under this initiative, 25, 000 women entrepreneurs and self-help group (SHG) members from the state will be given training on digital marketing skills within by the end of 2018.
- Parliament has passed the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- This bill will replace the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017 promulgated by President in May 2017.
- The bill seeks to amend the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to insert provisions for handling cases related to stressed assets or non-performing assets (NPAs) of banks.
- The Lok Sabha has also passed the State Banks (Repeal and Amendment) Bill, 2017.
- The bill seeks to repeal the two Acts namely State Bank of India (Subsidiary Banks) Act, 1959, and State Bank of Hyderabad Act, 1956.
- This bill also seeks to amend the State Bank of India (SBI) Act, 1955 to remove references to subsidiary banks and powers of SBI to act as an agent of the RBI for subsidiary banks.
Science & Technology
- Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Shaurya was commission in Vasco, Goa.
- This is fifth of a series of six OPVs designed in-house and built by Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL).
- It is 105-metre long and capable of cruising at a speed of 23 knots.
- It has a range of 6000 nautical miles.
Sports Current Affairs
- Indian shooter Maheshwari Chauhan won a Bronze medal at the ongoing 7th Asian Shotgun Championships in Kazakhstan.
- Note : This is India’s first women’s skeet individual medal at a top international competition.
- American sprinter Allyson Felix has become the Most decorated athlete in world championships with 15 medals, breaking Usain Bolt’s shared all-time record of most medals at the biennial athletics event.
- 4th and current President of Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta won re-election today, defeating veteran opposition leader and longtime rival Raila Odinga in a tense contest.
- Kenya’s election commission declared that he had received enough votes to secure a second five-year term.
- He is the son of Jomo Kenyatta, Kenya’s founding president.
Cick here to join our Facebook Group for Latest update and preparation tips and queries