Daily Current Affairs of 12th August 2017
International Current Affairs
- Today (12th August) is International Youth Day.
- The first International Youth Day was observed on 12th August 2000 by United Nations.
- The purpose of this day is to draw attention to a given set of cultural and legal issues surrounding youth.
- Theme of International Youth Day 2017 : “Youth Building Peace”
- Today (12th August) is World Elephant Day.
- This is an international annual event, dedicated to the preservation and protection of the world’s elephants.
- US President Donald Trump’s daughter and adviser Ivanka Trump will be leading the American delegation at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit in India.
- Note : The summit which is being co-hosted by India and the USA will be held from November 28 to November 30 at Hyderabad.
National Current Affairs
- The Indian Army will soon deploy indigenously built robots, capable of delivering ammunition at intended locations, to fight terrorism in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Under a ‘Gift Milk’ initiative launched today, Mother Dairy is going to offer 200 ml of flavoured milk every day to around 6,000 students of six government girls’ schools in Noida and Delhi.
Science & Technology
- American technology giant IBM introduced its 1st personal computer ‘IBM 5150‘ 36 years ago on this day (12th August) in the year 1981.
- Priced at about ₹1 lakh as per current conversion rates, the PC had 16 KB of RAM, applications like a calculator, spreadsheet, and word processor but no disk drives.
- Note : In 1983, TIME magazine named the personal computer its “Machine of the Year.”
- Elon Musk-led SpaceX will launch Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s (HPE) ‘Spaceborne Computer‘ to the International Space Station on 14th August 2017.
- The launch is part of HPE’s joint experiment with NASA to test if high performance computing hardware can survive in outer space conditions.
- Yisrael Kristal (113 years), certified this year by Guinness World Records as the world’s oldest man, died today.
- HHe was born in Poland to a Jewish family and survived the Auschwitz death camp during the Second World War.
- Screenwriter-lyricist Prasoon Joshi today replaced Pahlaj Nihalani as the Chairman of the Censor Board.
- Note : Nihalani was criticised for his decisions regarding certification for films including ‘Udta Punjab’ and ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’.
- Actress Vidya Balan has been appointed a Member of the reconstituted Censor Board.
- Other Members :
- Vivek Agnihotri
- Gautami Tadimalla
- Other Members :
- Drug major Lupin today appointed Manju Desh Bandhu Gupta, wife of founder Desh Bandhu Gupta, as Chairperson of the company with immediate effect.
- Former athlete Milkha Singh has been appointed as the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Physical Activity in the South-East Asia Region (SEAR).
Awards & Honors
- Indian Film Festival Of Melbourne (IFFM) 2017 Full Winners List :
- Best Film – Pink
- Best Actress – Konkona Sen Sharma for Lipstick Under my Burkha
- Best Actor – Sushant Singh Rajput for Dhoni
- Best Actor – (Special Mention) – Raj Kumar Rao for Trapped
- Best Director – Nitesh Tiwari for Dangal
- People’s Choice Award – Dangal & Bahubali 2
- Best Indie Film – Lipstick Under My Burkha
- Equality in Cinema Award – Director/Actor Rahul Bose for Poorna
- Leadership in Cinema – Karan Johar (he also presented the IFFM Diversity Award to Garth Davis, director of the Academy nominated film LION)
- Westpac IFFM Excellence in Global Cinema – Aishwarya Rai Bachchan
Cick here to join our Facebook Group for Latest update and preparation tips and queries