Daily Current Affairs of 11th August 2017
International Current Affairs
- Union External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj today attended the working session of the 15th BIMSTEC ministerial meeting in Kathmandu (Nepal).
- She is on a two-day visit to Nepal to participate in this meeting.
- Her visit comes just days ahead of Nepal Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba’s proposed visit to India.
- About BIMSTEC :
- BIMSTEC – Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation
- Established in : 6th June 1997
- BIMSTEC is an international organisation involving a group of countries in South Asia and South East Asia.
- They are : Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal.
- Nepal is the current Chair.
- Turkey has begun constructing a wall along the 500-km-long border with Iran.
- The construction is aimed at strengthening the country’s security by stopping infiltration by smugglers and Kurdish militants that Turkey claims have bases and camps on the Iranian side of the border.
- India has ratified the 2nd commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol that commits nations to reduce emission of greenhouse gases (GHG).
- During the second commitment period from 2013 to 2020, nations commit to reducing emissions by at least 18% below 1990 levels.
- As part of its special focus on Indian languages, the Oxford University Press has launched online dictionaries in Tamil and Gujarati.
- Note : It had launched online dictionary in Hindi last year after beginning the Oxford Global Languages (OGL) initiative in September 2015.
National Current Affairs
- Minister of State for Human Resource Development Mahendra Nath Pandey has launched a 3.35-minute video of the National Anthem in sign language.
- The video features Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan along with physically challenged children performing the anthem in sign language.
- The Haryana government is going to develop a Lion safari at the cost of ₹1,000 crore.
- Wildlife officials have been asked to check the feasibility of the project within a 100 km radius of Delhi.
- To provide basic medical assistance to elderly people, widows and other sections requiring social security, the Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today flagged off Mobile Therapy Vans.
- The vans, a joint project between the World Bank and the Bihar government, will be equipped with basic medical apparatus and accompanied by a technical team.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- Central Provident Fund Commissioner VP Joy today announced that from next month, Provident Fund account will be transferred automatically with the change of job.
- This has been done to retain same PF account for social security.
Science & Technology
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has tested the Indian Air Force’s upgraded Jaguar fighter plane with advanced Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA)radar for the first time.
- The aircraft will also be equipped with higher bandwidth of operation and higher accuracies and resolution, among other features.
- The upgraded Jaguar Darin III is expected to serve IAF for at least another decade.
- Ruth Pfau (87), a German doctor and a nun popularly known as Pakistan’s ‘Mother Teresa‘ for dedicating her life to eradicate leprosy in the country, died today.
- She witnessed leprosy in Pakistan for the first time in 1960 and returned to set up clinics across the country.
Awards & Honors
- The wax statue of late veteran actress Madhubala has been unveiled at the Madame Tussauds in New Delhi.
- The statue has been styled as the character ‘Anarkali’, portrayed by Madhubala in the 1960 film ‘Mughal-E-Azam’.
- ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha‘ was the opening film at the 8th Edition of the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) 2017.
- Former Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu took oath as the 13th Vice President of India at the Rashtrapati Bhawan’s Durbar Hall today.
- Note : He is replacing former Vice President Hamid Ansari, who held the post for two terms.
- The US President Donald Trump has appointed Neil Chatterjee as Chair of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
- Jet Airways today announced that Vinay Dube has joined as its CEO after receiving security clearance from the government.