Daily Current Affairs of 10th August 2017
International Current Affairs
- Today (10th August) is International Biodiesel day.
- During the 1850s two scientists named as E. Duffy and J. Patrickhad designed the first diesel engine.
- After that another renowned scientist named as Rudolf Diesel built a prime model of diesel engine with a 10 feet iron cylinder and flywheel at its base.
- This model was powered for the first time on 10th August 1893 in Augsburg, Germany. Thereafter this day is celebrated as International biodiesel day.
- To encourage air transport and tourism to the country amid a two-month boycott imposed by a Saudi-led Arab bloc, Qatar today announced to allow visa-free entry for citizens of 80 countries including India and US.
- The visa exemption scheme which aims at greater economic independence for Qatar will make it the most open country in the region.
- Nepal has criminalised an ancient practice known as ‘Chhaupadi‘ that banishes women from homes during menstruation.
- Under the custom, women are barred from touching food, religious icons, cattle, and forced to sleep in huts away from home.
National Current Affairs
- 2nd round of the National Deworming Day of this year being observed today in 33 states & Union Territories.
- Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan today said that a total of 17 states and Union Territories have imposed a complete ban on manufacture, stock, sale, and use of plastic bags.
- Tto maintain cleanliness along banks of Ganga River, the Uttar Pradesh Government today launched an awareness drive titled “Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra”.
- The campaign was flagged off by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath from the state capital in Lucknow.
- Maharashtra government passed a bill to allow commercial establishments including restaurants, malls, and theatres to stay open round the clock.
- Note : The bill would also make it easier for the establishments to obtain licences and permissions.
- India’s Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari demits office today.
- M. Venkaiah Naidu will take oath tomorrow.
- Bollywood actor Sitaram Panchal (54) who is best known for his role in films like ‘Jolly LLB 2’ and ‘Paan Singh Tomar’, passed away today after suffering from lung cancer for three years.
Science & Technology
- Argentina-based researchers have identified a new Titanosaur species that measured on average 122 feet long and 20 feet high, making it the biggest dinosaur species ever known.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is going to launch a full-fledged niche Earth Observation (EO) satellite titled the Hyperspectral Imaging Satellite (HySIS).
- Its launch will allow ISRO to enter the domain of operational hyperspectral imaging from earth orbit.
- Indian government has blocked access to Internet Archive, an online tool that lets people see old versions of websites, on certain ISPs including Airtel.
- Afghanistan has requested India to launch a special satellite exclusively for its use.
- The satellite will be used in areas of telecommunications, television services, mines and other sectors.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The government is planning to make Aadhaar mandatory for buying shares and mutual funds.
- Important Points to Note :
- The government and market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) are planning to link Aadhaar to financial market transactions.
- The government recently made it mandatory for taxpayers to quote Aadhaar for filing of income tax returns and to apply for PAN.
- Important Points to Note :
- Messaging app WhatsApp is going to start WhatsApp Payments, a facility for instant money transfer via the Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- 3 Indian companies featured in the Forbes’ List of ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies 2017.
- They are :
- Hindustan Unilever – 7th Rank (Highest-ranked Indian company)
- Asian Paints – 8th Rank
- Airtel – 78th Rank
- They are :
- The Defence Ministry has approved projects worth billions to upgrade its tanks and infantry combat vehicles.
- This includes ammunition for more than 1,500 Russian-origin BMP-2/2K infantry combat vehicles, top-end missiles for 3,000 T-90/T-72 tanks and lakhs of rounds for L-70 air defence guns.
- Note : This comes after the Comptroller and Auditor General reported a shortage in the army’s stock.
- China and Malaysia have agreed to build a $13 billion rail project linking Malaysia’s east and west.
- The project, which is a major part of China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), will connect the South China Sea at the Thai border in the east with strategic shipping routes of the Straits of Malacca in the west.
Sports Current Affairs
- Indian pair of Kynan Chenai and Shreyasi Singh win bronze in mixed team trap event of Asian Shotgun Shooting Championship in Kazakhastan.