There’s a fresh twist in the tale for India’s telecom sector, which is a success story with around a billion connections issued so far and about 350 million subscribers estimated to have smartphones. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- landscape (noun) – the distinctive features of a field of activity.
- incumbent (adjective) – current, existing, present.
- be saddled with (verb) – burden, hamper, charge.
- debt (noun) – liability, financial obligation, borrowed capital.
- non-performing asset (noun) – an asset that is not generating income; bad loans, toxic assets, troubled assets;
- wary (adjective) – cautious, careful; doubtful.
- rebound (verb) – recover, pick-up, rally (increase in something (value, amount) after a decline).
- trajectory (noun) – course, route, path.
- rejig (verb) – reorganize, rearrange, alter.
- keep up (phrasal verb) – keep pace, keep abreast.
- disruptive (adjective) – innovative, unprecedented, unusual.
- profound (adjective) – clever, perceptive, thoughtful.
- digital divide (noun) – the gap between the people who access computer/the internet and those who don’t access them.
- bridge (verb) – link, connect, unite.
- chunk (noun) – a significant amount of.
- shoot up (phrasal verb) – rise, soar, surge.
- step up (phrasal verb) – increase, intensify, strengthen.
- rationalise (verb) – streamline, make more efficient, hone/simplify.
- statutory (adjective) – mandatory, necessary, essential.
- flag (verb) – indicate, identify, point out.
- network neutrality (noun) – net neutrality refers to the principle that all traffic on the internet should be treated equally.
- ecosystem (noun) – complex network/environment.
- walled garden (noun) – on the Internet, a restricted ecosystem/environment that controls the user’s access to web content and services.
- sovereign (adjective) – independent, self-governing, autonomous.
- pertain to (verb) – concern, relate to, be connected with.
- lopsided (adjective) – uneven, unequal, one-sided.
- consent (noun) – agreement, assent/accord , permission.