As India’s 14th President, Ram Nath Kovind will be expected to play the important role of safeguarding the spirit of the Constitution and the foundations of our parliamentary democracy….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- bind (noun) – predicament, awkward/difficult situation, quandary/dilemma.
- fleeting (adjective) – brief, transient, short-lived.
- disentangle (verb) – free, disconnect, extricate.
- step down (phrasal verb) – resign, withdraw, give up one’s job.
- compromise (verb) – change one’s mind, give way, yield.
- make up one’s mind (phrase) – decide, come to a decision.
- pay off (phrasal verb) – succeed, be effective, be profitable.
- break away (phrasal verb) – leave, break/split with, separate from.
- ditch (verb) – leave, abandon; drop.
- ally (noun) – associate, colleague, partner
- take over (phrasal verb) – assume/take/gain control of, take charge of.
- yield (verb) – relinquish, surrender, hand over.
- appetite (noun) – desire, liking, craving/longing.
- manoeuvre (noun) – stratagem, tactic/trick, scheme.
- revive (verb) – reintroduce, re-establish, restore.
- crutch (noun) – a thing used for support; walking stick, cane.
- oblige (verb) – help, assist, serve.
- axe (verb) – terminate, drop, abandon.
- churn (noun) – disorder, confusion, mess up.
- at stake (phrase) – at risk.