By ordering an investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation into more than 80 cases of suspected extra-judicial killings in Manipur, the… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- extrajudicial (adjective) – out-of court, private, unauthorized/unwarranted (by law).
- overlook (verb) – disregard, neglect, ignore.
- lapse (noun) – failure, mistake, fault.
- reiterate (verb) – repeat, say again, restate.
- retaliatory (adjective) – termed as a revenge against someone.
- rebuff (verb) – reject, refuse, repel.
- stall (verb) – stop, obstruct, impede/hinder.
- rake up (noun) – recollect, remember, revive.
- inaction (noun) – inactivity, apathy/negligence; inertia.
- scuttle (verb) – deliberately cause to fail; hurry/hasten.
- excesses (noun) – very bad, wrong, violent behaviour.
- yield (verb) – comply with, conform to, agree to/ bow down to.
- counter-insurgency (noun) – Military or political action taken against the activities of guerrillas or revolutionaries.
- come up with (phrasal verb) – produce, propose, put forward/present.
- unpalatable (adjective) – uninviting, unappealing, unsavoury.
- deprecate (verb) – criticize, censure, condemn.
- biased (adjective) – unfairly prejudiced for or against someone or something.
- impunity (noun) – immunity, indemnity, exemption from punishment.
- repeal (verb) – revoke, cancel, nullify/invalidate.
- hostile (adjective) – antagonistic/aggressive, confrontational, unfriendly.
- put off (phrasal verb) – postpone, defer, delay.
- grossly (adverb) – flagrantly; extremely; excessively.
- remedy (verb) – set right, rectify, resolve.