Unsurprising verdict – The Hindu (Jul 15, 2017)
The latest Consumer Price Index data show headline retail inflation has decelerated to a record low of 1.54% in June. That the reading has slid below… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
- strike down (phrasal verb) – abolish, annul, nullify (a law or regulation).
- earmark (verb) – designate, assign, reserve.
- lay down (phrasal verb) – formulate, stipulate, frame.
- assent (noun) – approval, consent, endorsement.
- executive order (noun) – an order issued by the central/state government. It is not an ordinance which has got approval of the parliament and promulgated by the president.
- shoulder (verb) – undertake, accept, take on.
- ought to (modal verb) – must, should.
- imminent (adjective) – impending, in the offing, about to happen.
- master (verb) – learn, grasp/acquire, understand.
- apprehension (noun) – worry, concern, disquiet/unease.
- insurmountable (adjective) – unconquerable, unassailable, unbeatable.
- underprivileged (adjective) – poor, destitute, penurious.
- so too (phrase) – more of the same.
- draw up (phrasal verb) – formulate, prepare/create, draft.
- rampant (adjective) – uncontrolled, unrestrained, widespread.
- disparity (noun) – difference, dissimilarity; divergence.
- virtue (noun) – advantage, benefit, usefulness.
- thrust (noun) – force, push, pressure.
- leeway (noun) – freedom, liberty, licence/elbow room.
- exploitation (noun) – misuse, unfair treatment, taking advantage.