All indications are that 2017 will turn out to be the deadliest year in Jammu and Kashmir in almost a decade, and Monday’s terrorist attack on Amarnath pilgrims is a stark reminder that. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- stark (adjective) – clear, harsh; sheer.
- vulnerability (noun) – the state of being open to attack, damage, harm physically or emotionally.
- convoy (noun) – a group of vehicles or ships that are traveling together usually for protection (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- tenor (noun) – general meaning/content.
- militancy (noun) – belligerency, combativeness, contentiousness/defiance.
- sustained (adjective) – continuous, uninterrupted, non stop.
- infiltration (noun) – an act of moving/entering secretively into a place.
- lapse (noun) – failure, mistake, fault.
- fallout (noun) – adverse results; repercussions, after-effects.
- escalate (verb) – develop, increase, intensify.
- in the wake of (phrase) – aftermath, as a consequence of, as a result of.
- disconcerting (adjective) –
- authentic (adjective) – genuine, original, real/actual.
- spike (noun) – a sharp increase.
- mobilisation (noun) – the act of bringing people together for a particular cause.
- intimidatory (adjective) – frightening, menacing, terrifying.
- standstill (noun) – halt, stop, paralysis.
- coherent (adjective) – logical, unsettling, disturbing, embarrassing.reasonable, rational.
- outreach (noun) – the level of reaching out, activity/effort; involvement/influence.
- foster (verb) – encourage, promote, support.
- unrest (noun) – disruption, disturbance, agitation.