The gathering in Hamburg of the G20, a group of twenty developed and developing countries, last week was not unlike a large family event: some catching up,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- counterpart (noun) – a person who serves the same job/function but in a different location; equivalent.
- inauguration (noun) – the formal admission of someone to office.
- amid (preposition) – in the middle of, surrounded by, among/amongst.
- face-off (noun) – conflict, clash, fight.
- pull together (phrasal verb) – collaborate/cooperate, team up, unite.
- communique (noun) – official communication, press release, bulletin.
- recalcitrance (noun) – an attitude of uncooperative, resistant, non-compliant.
- interlocutor (noun) – a person who takes part in a dialogue or conversation.
- pivotal (adjective) – central, crucial, vital/critical.
- unanimity (noun) – consensus/agreement, unity, solidarity.
- run against (phrasal verb) – oppose, counter, deny.
- irreversible (adjective) – irreparable, irremediable, unrectifiable.
- fossil-fuels (noun) – non renewable resources or fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas are formed from the buried /deposited organic materials.
- strike an odd note (phrase) – appear, express, communicate strange/unusual opinion.
- protectionism (noun) – the use of tariff and non-tariff restrictions on imports to protect domestic producers from foreign competition.
- dynamics (noun) – the forces for growth/development.
- strain (verb) – try very hard, strive, struggle.
- learning curve (noun) – it is a graphical representation of the increase of learning with experience.
- rift (noun) – disagreement, dispute, conflict/discontent.
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA).
- undercurrent (noun) – (hidden) atmosphere, feeling, condition.
- discontent (noun) – dissatisfaction, disaffection, resentment.
- mitigate (verb) – alleviate, reduce, lessen.
- underlying (adjective) – fundamental, basic, essential.