Daily Current Affairs of 17th July 2017
International Current Affairs
- Today (17th July) is World Day for International Justice (International Justice Day).
- This day is celebrated throughout the world as part of an effort to recognize the emerging system of international criminal justice.
- Important Note : July 17 was chosen to celebrate this day, because it is the anniversary of the adoption of the Rome Statute, the treaty that created the International Criminal Court (ICC).
- Theme of International Justice Day 2017 : “Preventing conflict and sustaining peace through decent work”
- Today (17 July) is ‘World Emoji Day’.
- Emoji enthusiasts around the world have been celebrating this day since 2014.
- The date was kept after Apple’s emoji artwork for calendar, which displays July 17.
- Pakistan has launched a military operation in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) targeting the Islamic State.
- Note : ISIS has claimed to have carried out several attacks in Pakistan over the past two years.
National Current Affairs
- Voting to choose the 14th President of India began at the Parliament and State Legislative Assemblies at 10 am today.
- A total of 4,120 MLAs and 776 MPs will cast their vote to choose between NDA’s Ram Nath Kovind and Opposition’s Meira Kumar.
- President Pranab Mukherjee today gave his assent to Maharashtra government’s ‘Prohibition of Social Boycott Bill’, making Maharashtra the first Indian state to enact an anti-social boycott Bill.
- It aims to prevent atrocities carried out by extra-judicial courts and panchayats and, will include religious rituals, inter-caste marriage, dress or vocation as reasons for social boycott.
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan-led Madhya Pradesh government is setting up ‘astro-OPDs‘ in Bhopal where astrologers and such soothsayers will provide consultation to patients facing diverse problems.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) on Monday issued instructions to all states to stop using bouquets during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s tours within India.
- Instead of bouquets, states can offer PM Modi a flower along with a Khadi handkerchief or a book to welcome him.
- The Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda today launched the National Strategic Plan for Malaria Elimination (2017-22).
- This Strategic Plan gives year wise elimination targets in various parts of the country depending upon the endemicity of malaria in the next 5 years.
Places in News
- A museum in honour of late President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam will be inaugurated on July 27 in Tamil Nadu’s Rameshwaram.
- The museum will come up on a 3.45-acre site and will also house a planetarium.
- Note : Earlier, another museum in memory of Dr Kalam was opened in Kerala’s Thiruvananthapuram.
- Oscar-winning Hollywood actor Martin Landau (89) passed away.
- He won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in 1995 for the film ‘Ed Wood‘.
- He is known for his role in the television series ‘Mission: Impossible’ for which he received numerous Emmy nominations and a Golden Globe award.
Awards & Honors
- Actress Taapsee Pannu was named the Woman of the Year at the 18th edition of the IIFA Awards held in New York.
- Note : Actress Alia Bhatt was given the Style Icon of the Year Award for 2017.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries today crossed ₹5 lakh crore in market capitalisation for the first time in its trading history, making it the second Indian company to do so after TCS.
- According to new regulations, the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has powers to start probe against service providers registered with it without intimating them, .
- IBBI, which is implementing the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), has notified the regulations for inspection and investigation of service providers registered with it.
Sports Current Affairs
- Swiss tennis star Roger Federer won a record 8th Wimbledon men’s singles title today.
- With this he also became the oldest male player to win The Championships in Open Era.
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza’s former women’s doubles partner Switzerland’s Martina Hingis won the Wimbledon mixed doubles title alongside Andy Murray’s brother Jamie Murray.
- Complete winners list of Wimbledon 2017
- Men’s Singles : Roger Federer (Switzerland)
- Women’s Singles : Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain)
- Men’s Doubles : Łukasz Kubot (Poland) / Marcelo Melo (Brazil)
- Women’s Doubles : Ekaterina Makarova (Russia) / Elena Vesnina (Russia)
- Mixed Doubles : Jamie Murray (United Kingdom) / Martina Hingis (Switzerland)
- Indian squash player Harinder Pal Sandhu won his second title in two weeks after winning the Victorian Open by beating top-seed Rex Hedrick of Australia today.
- Mercedes’ British Formula One racer Lewis Hamilton equalled Jim Clark and Alain Prost’s record of 5 British Grand Prix titles after winning the race today.