Daily Current Affairs of 15th July 2017
International Current Affairs
- Today (15th July 2017) is World Youth Skills Day.
- The United Nations General Assembly in November 2014, declared 15th July as World Youth Skills Day.
- The 1st World Youth Skills Day was observed on 15th July 2015.
- This day is celebrated all over the world to raise awareness about the issue of unemployment among youth.
- Theme of World Youth Skills Day 2017 : “Skills for All”
- Indonesia today renamed part of the South China Sea as the North Natuna Sea.
- Although Indonesia said it is a non-claimant state in the sea, it added that China’s maritime boundary overlaps its exclusive economic zone around the Natuna islands.
- France has celebrated its 228th Bastille Day.
- This is President Emmanuel Macron’s first celebration as the President.
- Note : US President Donald Trump presided over the event as the guest of honour.
- An 18-year-old ragpicker Bilal Dar has been appointed as Srinagar’s civic ambassador.
- Dar will get a special uniform and vehicle to go and meet people and sensitise them about environmental issues, cleanliness and garbage disposal.
Science & Technology
- Russian space agency Roscosmos today successfully launched ‘Kanopus-V-IK‘ Earth-imaging satellite and 72 microsatellites into orbit on a single rocket.
- The microsatellites include 62 CubeSats developed by US and others made by Japan, Germany, and Canada.
- Note : This comes after ISRO launched a world record 104 satellites at once earlier this year, breaking Russia’s previous record of 37 satellites.
- With 24.1 crore active users, India has overtaken the United States to become Facebook’s largest country audience, according to data shared by the platform for July.
- Nepal will get Internet services through Chinese optical fibre starting next month, ending its reliance on India for the service.
- France and Germany today announced plans to develop a “new generation” European fighter jet, in an effort to strengthen the European Union and increase cooperation between the two countries.
- Note : The two nations aim to come up with a joint roadmap by 2018 to replace the existing fleet of rival warplanes, which includes the Rafale and Eurofighter.
Awards & Honors
- Actress Priyanka Chopra has been nominated at the Teen Choice Awards 2017 in the ‘Villain‘ category for her Hollywood debut film ‘Baywatch’.
- This is Priyanka’s second nomination after she bagged one for her role in American television series ‘Quantico’ in 2016.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The Finance Ministry has received around 90 applications for the post of RBI Deputy Governor as SS Mundra’s three-year term is coming to end this month.
- Several private bankers have also applied for the post as the position was open to private sector.
- Note : This post will have a fixed salary of ₹2.25 lakh per month plus allowances.
- The US House of Representatives has passed a $621.5 billion defence policy billwhich includes proposals of boosting defence cooperation with India.
- US officials now have 180 days to develop a strategy on the cooperation between the countries.
- The proposal then needs to be passed by the Senate before US President Donald Trump signs it into a law.
- Swami Vivekananda Airport of Raipur was ranked first in Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Survey among 49 airports in the country.
- It was followed by Udaipur (2nd), Amritsar (3rd) and Dehradun (4th) airports.
- India and European Union (EU) have established Investment Facilitation Mechanism (IFM) for EU Investments in India.
- The mechanism will allow for a close coordination between EU and India with an aim to promote and facilitate EU investment in India.
Sports Current Affairs
- Indian Para-athlete Sundar Singh Gurjar became only the second Indian to win a gold at the World Para Athletics Championships, winning one in javelin at the 2017 edition in London today.
- Note : Rio gold medalist Devendra Jhajharia was the first Indian to win a gold in 2013.
- 35 year-old Roger Federer has become the oldest men’s singles Wimbledon finalist since 1974, after defeating Czech tennis player Tomas Berdych in the semi-finals today.
- Now Federer will face first-time Wimbledon finalist Marin Cilic in the final tomorrow.