English Vocabulary from “The Hindu News Paper” – 28th June 2017
Warm in Washington: Modi in U.S. – The Hindu (Jun 28, 2017)
Ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s first meeting with President Donald Trump, concern had grown about the future course of the bilateral relationship, particularly whether Mr. Trump would maintain…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
- muted (verb) – indistinct, quiet/soft, dull.
- course (noun) – route, way, direction.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- predecessor (noun) – forerunner, precursor, antecedent.
- rest on (verb) – be based on, depend on, centre/rely on.
- fuel (verb) – stimulate, encourage, intensify (an intense feeling).
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA).
- put something to rest (phrase) – stop doubt by resolving an issue.
- bonhomie (noun) – friendliness, warmth, geniality/affability.
- entrepreneurship (noun) – the process/activity of setting up a business.
- forge (verb) – build, construct, create.
- territorial (adjective) – geographical, zonal, topical.
- sovereignty (noun) – autonomy, independence, self-government/rule.
- albeit (conjunction) – though, even though, however.
- convergence (noun) – the process of converging; intersection, interchange.
- departure from (noun) – deviation/divergence, variation, change.
- insertion (noun) – introduction, placing, positioning.
- veiled (verb) – hidden, concealed/camouflaged, indirect.
- front burner (noun) – the focus of attention.
- trade deficit (noun) – a trade deficit (a deficit in the balance of trade) occurs when the value of a country’s imports exceeds that of its exports. It is also called a trade gap.
- articulate (verb) – express, communicate, make public/announce.
- curb (noun) – check, restraint, control.
- accord (noun) – treaty, agreement, settlement/deal.
- handicapped (adjective) – hampered, impeded; restricted/obstructed.
- maiden (adjective) – first, initial, inaugural.
- substantive (adjective) – important & meaningful.