English Vocabulary from “The Hindu News Paper” – 27th June 2017
Mending the rift – The Hindu (Jun 27, 2017)
The fact that Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates have handed over a list of demands to the Qatari regime should, on the face of it,….For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- mend (verb) – correct, amend, rectify.
- rift (noun) – disagreement, dispute, conflict.
- regime (noun) – government, rule, leadership.
- on the face of it (phrase) – apparently, seemingly, evidently.
- impasse (noun) – deadlock, stalemate, stand-off.
- comply with (verb) – abide by, adhere to, follow/respect.
- disown (verb) – renounce, reject, deny.
- thriving (adjective) – growing, prosperous; flourishing.
- bloc (noun) – alliance, group, federation/union.
- dissident (noun) – objector, protester, disputant.
- enforce (verb) – force, compel, demand/insist on.
- cease (verb) – stop, conclude, terminate.
- implication (noun) – consequence, result, ramification/repercussion.
- muscle power (noun) – influence, power/force, strength.
- bully (noun) – persecutor, oppressor, browbeater/intimidator.
- prevail over (verb) – win through, triumph,, succeed.
- precursor (noun) – sign, signal, indication.
- shore up (phrasal verb) – support, assist, buttress/strengthen.
- remittance (noun) – payment, settlement, money.
- sanguine ( adjective) – optimistic, positive, hopeful.