English Vocabulary from “The Hindu News Paper” – 21th June 2017
American voyage – The Hindu (Jun 21, 2017)
Three years after his first visit to meet U.S. President Barack Obama, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Washington for his first meeting with the new President, Donald Trump, on…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
- voyage (noun) – journey, trip, quest.
- be ground in (verb) – build, establish, set.
- bygone (adjective) – past, former/earlier, gone by.
- diaspora (noun) – the dispersion or spread of the people from their homeland.
- interlocutor (noun) – a person who takes part in a dialogue or conversation.
- inauguration (noun) – the formal admission of someone to office.
- adhere to (verb) – abide by, comply with, stand by.
- regime (noun) – system, arrangement, scheme.
- accord (noun) – treaty, agreement, settlement/deal.
- set aside (phrasal verb) – put down, abandon, discard.
- tone down (phrasal verb) – moderate, mitigate, modify/soften.
- maritime (adjective) – of or related to the sea.
- put off (phrasal verb) – postpone, defer, delay.
- substantive (adjective) – important & meaningful.
- chart (verb) – follow, outline, describe/detail.
- amid (preposition) – in the middle of, surrounded by, among/amongst.
- presumably (adverb) – probably, in all likelihood, undoubtedly.
- prevailing (adjective) – existing, present, current.