Daily Current Affairs of 29th June 2017
International Current Affairs
National Current Affairs
- Today (29th June) is National Statistics Day.
- This day is organised by Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI).
- This day commemorates the birth anniversary of Indian Bengali scientist and applied statistician, Prof. Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis.
- He is best remembered for the Mahalanobis distance, a statistical measure.
- Important Note : This year observes 125th birth anniversary Mahalanobis.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the centenary celebrations of Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad.
- The Election Commission announced today that elections for the post of Vice-President will be held on August 5, and the counting will also take place on the same day.
- The Indian Army has received its first batch of modern bullet-proof helmets, two decades after initiating the process.
- The ballistic helmets can withstand impact of ammunition fired from short range, meeting the global standard for protection among leading armed forces.
- They provide all-round protection from head injuries, as opposed to the previous ones that protected only the forehead and the back.
- The Election Commission of India has joined hands with the social networking giant Facebook to launch nationwide voter registration reminder aimed at reminding eligible Indian voters to register themselves on the electoral rolls.
- As a part of the initiative, Facebook will activate a unique ‘Register Now’ button reminding all the eligible Indian users to enrol themselves as voters.
- Bollywood Actress Preity Zinta has launched Kavach Safety, an emergency response service for women.
- The “pro victim-anti perpetrator” service assures safety at the press of a button by helping in preventing incidents and assisting victims through medical services and trauma support.
- The National Legal Services Authority (NALSA) has launched a web application for free Legal Services to Prisoners at the conference held at Indian Law Institute, New Delhi.
- This sytem has been developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- Odisha is set to become the first state in the country to open a blood bank for cattle.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- Government issues notification for roll out of Goods and Services Tax, GST from Saturday.
- To launch GST, the government has organised a special programme to be held in Central Hall of Parliament in the midnight of June 30th.
- The event will see the participation of President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and other Ministers and bureaucrats.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has started printing currency notes of ₹200 denomination, the third denomination notes to be printed after demonetisation.
- The new notes with advanced security features, are unlikely to be circulated through ATM machines to avoid recalibration of machines.
- Note : The proposal to issue ₹200 banknotes was cleared by the RBI in March.
- The government has given in-principle approval for the disinvestment of state-run carrier Air India, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley announced today.
- He further announced that a body will be set up to finalise modalities and details for disinvestment of Air India.
- Note : Currently, Air India has a debt of over ₹50,000 crore and is surviving on a taxpayer bailout.
- The Union Cabinet today approved the recommendations of the 7th Pay Commission for higher allowances, including house rent allowance (HRA).
- The move will benefit more than 50 lakh serving and retired central government employees.
Science & Technology
- The Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) GSAT-17 satellite was successfully launched today aboard French rocket Ariane 5, making it the third satellite launch in a month.
- The 3,477-kg satellite is carrying payloads for communication services, apart from equipment for meteorological data relay.
- The other launches this month were with PSLV C-38 and India’s heaviest rocket GSLV Mk III.
- Apple launched its first-ever iPhone on this day (29th June) in the year 2007, after being introduced by Steve Jobs in January that year.
- The iPhone was among the world’s first consumer devices with a multi-finger touch interface and was claimed to be “five years ahead of any other mobile phone”.
- Note : Fifteen iPhone models have been launched since then, with iPhone 7 being the latest.
Sports Current Affairs
- The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) is set to shift India’s Under-17 World Cup matches from Mumbai to Delhi on request of India’s sports ministry.
- Note : The first-ever FIFA event in India will be held across six cities from October 6.