Daily Current Affairs of 20th June 2017
International Current Affairs
- Today (20th June 2017) is World Refugee Day.
- This day is observed by the United Nation High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- This day is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.
- The decision to observe the day, coinciding with Africa Refugee Day, was made by the UN in December 2000.
- The first World Refugee Day marked the 50th anniversary of the UN Refugee Convention.
- Theme of 2017 : #WithRefugees
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau called up PM Narendra Modi today, with both leaders discussing the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Modi congratulated Trudeau on the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation this year, besides reaffirming India’s commitment to climate change and implementation of the Paris Agreement.
- India has become the 71st nation to join the United Nations TIR (Transports Internationaux Routiers) Convention.
- Note : India’s decision to join the convention is part of its multi-modal transport strategy that aims at integrating Indian economy with global and regional production networks through better connectivity.
National Current Affairs
- For the first time in India, Indore has installed a 14-foot-tall robot to control traffic.
- It’s equipped with a public address system and can take photos of traffic violators to generate e-challans when connected to police control room.
- Developed by Shri Venkteshwar Institute of Technology, the robot took two years and ₹20 lakh to complete.
- Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh has announced the following :
- The government will establish wellness mohalla (ward) clinics across the state along with initiating the process of providing health insurance to all citizens.
- Free education for girls in government schools and colleges in the state from Nursery to PhD, fulfilling a poll promise.
- A waiver of more than ₹20,000 crore in farmer loans, in a move expected to benefit 10.25 lakh farmers.
- Note : The amount is double the relief announced by Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- Minister of State for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and Mines has launched the Energy Conservation Building Code 2017 (ECBC 2017).
- This has been developed by Ministry of Power and Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) with technical support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) under the U.S.-India bilateral Partnership to Advance Clean Energy – Deployment Technical Assistance (PACE-D TA) Program.
- This Code prescribes the energy performance standards for new commercial buildings to be constructed across India.
- Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harshvardhan has launched a Mobile App titled “Celebrating Yoga”.
- The aim of the app is to popularise Yoga and encourage people to practice yoga for a scientifically healthy living.
- The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has appointed 19-year-old Muzoon Almellehan as its newest and youngest Goodwill Ambassador on World Refugee Day.
- With this, she became the first refugee to become an Ambassador for the organisation.
MOUs & Agreements
- American global aerospace, defense, security and advanced technologies company Lockheed Martin and India’s Tata Advanced Systems have signed an agreement to produce F-16 fighter planes in India.
Science & Technology
- NASA’s Kepler space telescope has discovered 219 new planet candidates, 10 of which are Earth-like and orbit in their star’s habitable zone, the distance at which liquid water can exist.
- To date, Kepler has identified 50 near-Earth-size habitable zone candidates, of which over 30 have been verified.
- Further, it has identified 4,034 planet candidates, with 2,335 being verified as exoplanets.
Sports Current Affairs
- Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan has bought the Cape Town-based side in Cricket South Africa’s new T20 league.
- The team, which will be called Cape Town Knight Riders, is Khan’s third team in T20 leagues after IPL’s Kolkata Knight Riders and Caribbean Premier League’s Trinbago Knight Riders.
- Note : GMR Group, Delhi Daredevils’ owners, have also bought a team in the league.
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the Team of the Champions Trophy 2017, which includes 7 players from the finalists of the tournament, India and Pakistan. They are,
- Shikhar Dhawan (India) (338 runs)
- Fakhar Zaman (Pakistan) 252 runs)
- Tamim Iqbal (Bangladesh) (293 runs)
- Virat Kohli (India) (258 runs)
- Joe Root (England) (258 runs)
- Ben Stokes (England) (184 runs and three wickets)
- Sarfraz Ahmed (Pakistan) (captain) (wicketkeeper) (76 runs and nine dismissals)
- Adil Rashid (England) (seven wickets)
- Junaid Khan (Pakistan) (eight wickets)
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar (India) (seven wickets)
- Hassan Ali (Pakistan) (13 wickets)