How to prepare for SSC CGL 2017 by Sagar Gupta
How to prepare for SSC CGL 2017 by Sagar Gupta.We are sharing with you preparation tips and strategy for SSC CGL shared by Sagar Gupta(Selected as DA in CGL 13 and in CGL 2014 getting 460 marks in written).Hats off to his efforts for breaking myths regarding SSC Preparation.It is advised to read complete post and don’t skip any points and you will get excellent informtion to crack SSC Examination.So here the story starts.
preparation tips and strategy for SSC CGL
First of all, I want to introduce myself so that I can break some myths related to SSC CGL
Exam. I am Sagar Gupta from a small village of Jharkhand(A Naxal Belt Area). I am a simple graduate in B.COM. I have completed all my studies viz. Matriculation, Intermediate, Graduation from my village only. There is no English medium school here. So I have completed all my studies from Hindi medium school. I am saying this all to break myths like (i) a hindi medium student can’t compete with English medium students.
When I was a novice at the beginning of the preparation of SSC CGL, I used to consult to “Bhaiya” who are preparing for SSC/BANK. They used to say,”Are yaar, Hum log hindi medium se h, English medium wale log se kaha compete kar payenge. SSC/BANK unke liye hi bana hai”. In short, the so called “Elder Bhaiyas” preparing for SSC/Bank will just demotivate you. One day I asked one of those Bhaiyas that What do u do to improve your English. One said “Kuch nahi”(nothing). Another Said “Newspaper kabhi kabhi padh leta hu.but sudharta nahi hai”. Here, I want to tell you that “kuch nahi karne ya kabhi kabhi newspaper padhne se kam nahi chalega”. You will have to labour hard to achieve anything in life. I am not saying that you will have to read 10-12 hours a day. I am just saying that in a day, give 4 to 5 hours maximum and that time is enough. In that 4 to 5 hours, just study. I have seen people that at the time of study,they used to do whatsapp,talking with girlfriend etc. Wo sab karo but padhte time nahi karo.
Now comes to second myth (ii) A person who is living in a village and preparing from there only, can’t crack SSC/BANK.
For clearing this myth,I will give example of mine.My other friends can also be the example. Since my birth, I am living in my village only and cracked SSC CGL EXAM in my first attempt with good marks and without any coaching and also got a respectable Interview post. After completing my Matriculation, People started telling me “Go to town for further studies. Why are you wasting your time living here in village?. Yaha se kuch nahi kar paoge,kewal awaragiri karoge. Aishe aishe word sab log mujhe bolte the ki kya batau” I have listened very sarcastic words and that time sometimes I became so sad. :’( But I never said anything to them because somewhere in my mind and heart, I had determined that I will show them all What I can do. And see in my first attempt, I cleard SSC CGL 😀 . And now those people appreciate me,”Beta, tmne to Kamal kar diya J “. In a nutshell, I want to say that labour hard and everything will be alright.
Now It’s time for the third myth.
This myth is almost stated by failures or the person who wants to hide their shirkerness towards studies. The failures always used to say,” Bhai,hamara selection nahi hoga..SSC mai sab setting se hota hai…aj tak 350 se jyada cut off kabhi gaya nahi..aur 2013 mai cut off 420 ho gaya aur 2014 mai cut off 426 ho gaya hai..Itna cut off hike ho jayega kya ..sab SSC wale corrupt ho gaye hai..jinka selection ho raha h,wo log paise se selection pa rahe hai, wolog cheaters hai and all that“ .. I want to tell you guys that this is all ridiculous…
Do you know why the cut off has increased drastically? This is due to the demand for Government Job among students. In recent days, People want respect,job security and handsome salary and perks. And all these things are in Government Job. So, Even B.TECH. and MBA students and even BANK PO are going for SSC. Due to these things, Cut off has increased. So don’t be shirker. Don’t think that students selected in SSC are cheaters. It is their hard labour that is why they are there. Stop listening to those guys who say all those ridiculous things like “SSC wale cheaters hai and all that”. JUST KEEP BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND GIVE YOUR BEST J.
This myth is natural. Even when I had started preparing for SSC, I used to think the same. But in due time, I realized that this is also a myth. As I told earlier I am from a non-math background and simple graduate in commerce. So, I also used to think in the earlier stage of my preparation for SSC that Now a days B.TECH.(Engineering students) and M.B.A. students are also preparing for SSC. They have good command over English. They have also good command over mathematics due to the fact that they have studied mathematics in 12th voraciously. I am from a Hindi medium. So, competing with those guys will be a hard nut to crack ( a very tough task). But during the preparation, I realized that in SSC, Questions are not asked of engineering level and that SSC Mathematics is all about practice and accuracy. Also,SSC englilsh is not that hard. Initially, It will look hard. A vernacular/hindi medium student like me, may think that I can’t get even 15 marks out of 50. But after adoption of the strategies and books which I will share later in this post, You will see the changes in you. If you don’t believe in me then I want to tell u that I have completed even my graduation in hindi. But now my English is “thik thak(so so )” to crack SSC English section.
IN A NUTSHELL- These are the myths which is nothing but a ridiculous thing-
- A hindi medium student can’t compete with English medium students.
- A person who is living in a village and preparing from there only without any coaching, can’t crack SSC/BANK.
- SSC mai kewal corruption hai aur cheaters log ka selection hi hota hai isme isliiye cut off itni high gayi.
- B.TECH.(Engineering students) and M.B.A. students se non-math background wale compete ni kar payenge MATH and ENGLISH mai…
PREPARATION STRATEGIES AND BOOKS for SSC CGL-
There are lots of books in book stores for SSC. They all claim that after reading those books,you will clear the exam easily. I don’t know the veracity of their claim. But I want to tell that When I had started my preparation, I have no one to guide me about books and strategies. So, I bought almost every book. I have 4 to 5 math books of different publication. But after reading those books partly, I realized that which one is good book and which one is not upto the mark of SSC. And then I started my preparation from the best book. Books may differ from person to person. May be “Jo book maine padha hai,dusra banda jiska selection hua hai,ho sakta hai ki wo ye book na padha hoga”. But I have started my preparation from zero level. So, I think that the books which I am going to tell here will be beneficial for all.
- For Mathematics-
- Objective Mathematics by MAHESH MISHRA(Sumitra Publication).
[Don’t buy the tricky mathematics by MAHESH MISHRA because it is not possible to learn every trick. Conceptual clarity is necessary which u will find in Objective Mathematics by MAHESH MISHRA.](This book comes in Hindi)
- Advanced Mathematics (Lucent Publication)
[Try to learn every concept and theorem first and then start solving questions.] May be Some questions will not be solved. Skip those questions. Solve every previous question given at the end of chapter.
There are also lot of good Advanced mathematics books but I have prepared from this book only. This book is good . J
Lot of persons suggest to read ‘QUANTUM CAT’ written by Survesh Kumar Gupta. That book is awesome. But that book is made for CAT only. So the questions are very vast. So, better to skip this book. You can read the theorem and concept of Geometry and Mensuration from this book if u have this book otherwise the above mentioned book is enough.
- FOR ENGLISH-
- SSC ENGLISH(MB BOOKS PUBLICATION) BY Ajay Kumar Singh
[This book is just awesome. The study material given in this book is very concise but it is best.] But yes,there are some errors in this book. But still this book is best.
Read everything from this book. There are about 116 sets(previously asked questions). Complete each and every set voraciously. That means that solve one or two sets every day from the book and then analyze it fully. For example,common error mai answer and explanation ki help se dekho ki kaun sa part error tha ..reason kya tha uska.. Learn by rote every synonym and antonym asked in the sets. Also learn the Word Meaning given at the end of each set to improve your vocabulary and for SSC and try to use those words in your daily life so that those words will be in your mind forever. Ish book ka ek ek chiz padh dale…
Whatever I am saying ,It is my real experience.. So do try it..With the help of reading newspaper and with this book , I was able to score 170 marks out of 200 marks in English. So, believe me and go ahead.
- If you are able to complete the above mentioned book fully then you can try ‘OBJECTIVE GENERAL ENGLISH’ by R.S. AGARWAL also. But first complete the above mentioned SSC ENGLISH BOOK.
- The most important thing to improve your English is to read english newspaper daily for 1 hour. Any English newspaper will do a lot. Initially Hindi medium student will not be able to understand the newspaper. But don’t lose your courage. Jo v samajh aata h,utna hi samjho.. But do read newspaper daily. Gradually you will see that you are able to understand English newspaper. Daily matlab har din padhna hai..Koi bahana nahi chalega.. Within 2-3 months of continuous study of newspaper, your English will improve a lot.. Reading newspaper will help you inCOMPREHENSION,CLOSE TEST,PARA JUMBLE,SENTENCE IMPROVEMENT ETC. I have seen people that 5-6 din newspaper padhe,kuch samajh nahi aaya to chhor dete h padhna.. Aishe nahi chalega.. Atleast 2 to 3 months chahiye.. So read newspaper daily specially for hindi medium students.
- How to prepare for REASONING-
This is the easiest section of SSC CGL. NO NEED TO BUY BOOK FOR REASONING. Just practice it from Kiran Sets. That’s it.. After practicing 20 to 30 sets, You can easily score 45 to 48 out of 50 in exam.
- How to prepare for GENERAL KNOWLEDGE-
- Lucent General Knowledge(available in Hindi and English both)
I was very dull in General Knowledge. When I had given SSC CGL 2013 Exam which was cancelled, I had got Minus 1 (-1) marks in GS section. So, You can imagine what my GS section would be at that time. Then one of my friends suggested to read Lucent. When I started lucent, I was learning everything by rote. That means mai pura ek ek chiz ratta mar raha tha.. Usse problem ye hua ki 1 se 2 page ratta marne mai mujhe 3 se 4 ghante (hours) lag jate the..thode din bad mai wo v bhul jata tha..then again my friend suggested me to Just read this book daily again and again..Usne bola “ratta mat mar.Kewal book ko har din padho.matlab ki agar mai aj 3 se 4 page padha to phir kal v ussi 3 se 4 page padhna hoga aur phir tisre din agla 4 se 5 page padhna hoga..phir one week bad sara ko repeat karna hoga.. (He said ,”don’t try to learn it by rote Just read the book again and again. Like if u r reading page no. 1 to 4 today,then revise this again next day,and after that next day read page no.5 to 8 and then again revise it next day and so on.. After one or two week,revise from page no.1). Actually whatever he said is on the basis of the research done by scientist which says that if one study like this,then whatever he read ,will be in mind for a long time. Then I did the same and I saw the improvement in me. This method worked very well and mujhe sara history ,civics etc. ish book se pura yaad ho gaya tha.. You will not believe but I want to share that I had scored -1 in GS section in 2013 CGL but due to this method, I scored 28 marks out of 50 in CGL in 2014. Now You can realize that I am not a unique guy. I am just a simple guy like you.. So,adopt this method and read this book. But you will have to study GS section every day..
- If you have time, then you can also read NCERT BOOKS of Social Science and Science FROM CLASS 6 TO 10. If you are able to complete these books then I want to tell You will surely get very good marks in GS Section. But If you have lack of time then Lucent General Knowledge will help you a lot. But NCERT books are best.
5.FOR PRACTICE SETS-
I have seen people vociferously saying “Mujhe paramount ki Practise sets dilwa do 😛 “ . I am not saying that Practice sets of Paramount is bad. It is a good set book. And their test series is also very good. But I want to tell that If you don’t have practice set of PARAMOUNT or You have not their test series, then It’s not a problem. I and my friends have not practiced from Paramount.
For Practicing Modal Questions, You can buy “SSC CGL PRACTICE SETS OF KIRAN PUBLICATION, DELHI” . It is also a very good set book. At the beginning of preparation, I used to think,”Practice sets se kya hoga”. But gradually I realized that this is the one thing which will ultimately take you near to your success in SSC. Because when you start solving questions sets, then your speed ,accuracy will improve. It will also help you better for preparing each section of the exam. But the method to solving sets is –
- FIRST, complete the chapters of Mathematics and make your concept clear.
- Also, complete self study sections(given at the beginning) of SSC ENGLISH BY MB BOOKS.
- Then start solving 1 practice set every day.
- After completing practice set, analyze it completely i.e. see the question in all the sections which you were not able to solve or find difficulty in solving. Write them down in separate note book. Also see the general knowledge section and see the explanation and remember them. Also, see common error, antonym synonym, Idioms and phrases, close test etc in English section. In short, to get the benefit of solving practice sets, It is mandatory to analyze set completely.
- If you have one or two friend and they are sincere in studies then you can solve Modal sets with them. It will make solving practice set enjoyable. Because solving Modal questions alone sometimes makes bore. But if you don’t have good friends I mean If you have those friends who just want having fun in life without thinking about their career and family, then it’s better to practice modal sets alone. I hope everyone is getting my point.
DO’S AND DON’TS-
BELOW MENTIONED THINGS SHOULD BE TAKEN IN CONSIDERATION IF YOU WANT TO CLEAR SSC IN FIRST ATTEMPT WITH VERY GOOD MARKS-
- I have seen people making Whatsapp Study group. First, I want to tell straight forward that Whatsapp se padhai nahi ho sakti. Many people may oppose my this advice. They will say or think that Whatsapp mai general studies ke bahut sare material mil jata hai padhne ko.. Some will say or think that Mathematics mai koi problem hai,wo solve ho jata hai and all that.. My friends used to make Whatsapp group and they used to send G.K. and other stuffs through Whatsapp. But I never joined any group. Because “Jitna time ap Whatsapp mai padhne mai doge,utna time mai ap General Knowledge ki book padh loge aur usse jyada sikh loge.” If even now someone doesn’t agree with me,then I can’t do anything in this regard. Do whatever you want to do. But according to me, Whatsapp se padhai nahi hogi ya agar hui bhi to bahut kam,time jyada waste hoga.
- Having Girlfriend in life 😉 I am not saying that Don’t make girlfriend or If you have girl friend or boy friend then break your relation. I am just saying that Just see that If you have girlfriend or boyfriend, then is it hampering your preparation for the exam? You have heard a idiom,” KUCH PANE KE LIYE,KUCH KHONA HOTA HAI”. I am not saying that apne gf/bf ko chhor do. I am saying that Give less time to your boyfriend/girlfriend and give more time to your studies. Because after getting job, You can enjoy your life with your love mates. But you fail to secure a job then everything will be destroyed. I have lots of friends in towns preparing for SSC/BANK, they used to talk to their girlfriend for 3 to 4 hours and thus wasting their time. Sometimes, due to a small dispute between him and her, He can’t concentrate in his studies. He is still struggling for the job. So, It’s better to decide first What you want in your life? Do you want happiness of your family or loved ones who are spending thousands of rupees for your study? Or Do you want to betray them ? In my opinion, if one have girlfriend or boyfriend,then he/she should be supportive. He or she should say ,”first make your life, take a government job and I am always with you J”. Because in today’s era, some people make girlfriend or boyfriend ,just for fun. They don’t think about their happiness. They just want to have fun. I hope you are getting my point. So, Please keep it in your mind. J
- Don’t be alcoholic. According to research done by various scientists,”Having alcohol on regular basis reduce concentration. It will also hamper your study.
- Don’t make lots of friends. I am not saying that don’t make friends. Make friends but don’t be indulge with them every time. Make limited friends who will help you in your studies. When aspirants study in hostels or taking room in rent, they make lots of friends. The problem is that When you study,they come to your room and you started talking to them. Sometimes,they will say “chalo yaar ghum kea ate hai” and you go with them. It can be a obstacle in your way to your dream job. If you have friends ,tell them straightly that this time is for your studies. And You can go with them in evening to make mind fresh.
- Do excerise on regular basis. I am not saying to go to gym and all. A simple walking in the morning or evening alone or with friends is enough to make your mind healthy . You can spend one to two hours in the evening with your friends but only one to two hours.
- People think that those who are selected in SSC/BANK, study 24×7 or for 10 to 12 hours a day. This is completely a myth. Selected students say like this just to impress others. But some students really study for 10 hours. But in my opinion, if you study for 3 to 4 hours a day with full concentration,then that time is enough to clear SSC/BANK within 6 months. But the time in which u study,should be only for study. It means that don’t use Whatsapp or facebook while studying. It reduces concentration. In short, If you study 3 to 4 hours daily on regular basis with solving practice sets for 2 hours and giving 1 hour to analyze set,then this (3+2+1=6 hours) is enough to clear the exam within less than 6 months. J
- Make separate id in Facebook. And Don’t make friends in that id. Just join some good groups of SSC like SSC NAUKRI, TARGET INTERVIEW GROUP,SSCTUBE etc. to get updates regarding exam date, preparation strategies and for tips. But again I want to clear here that don’t waste too much time in Facebook. Just see the updates of the group which is helpful for your studies. And then just log out. Don’t give more than half hour in it.
- Many people think to commit suicide when they don’t clear the exam. I am requesting you all that Please never do this. I know you guys are listening sarcastic words from others when you are not clearing the exam. But never think to commit suicide. Life is precious. If a person don’t clear the exams then it doesnot mean that He can’t do anything in life. Government job is not everything. Give your best to achieve Government job. But if you don’t get a government job then You can do private jobs as well. I have seen people starting from very low position from private jobs and going to very high post with experience and with their hard work. So, never be sad. Just be positive and give your best.
- When I had started my preparation for SSC, I met some students who were extremely brilliant in some sections. Like I have met a student who had remembered more than 10,000 words from “OBJECTIVE GENERAL ENGLISH”. I also met a person who has completed General Knowledge by Lucent Publication completely by rote. That time I used to think that if these brilliant students are not able to clear SSC then How will I clear SSC ? But in due course, I realized that If one is brilliant in one section (say in ENGLISH) and he is weak in others sections, then it doesn’t mean that he will clear the exam. For clearing SSC,One should have command over each section viz. Reasoning, Mathematics, English. I will not say about General Knowledge section because ye almost sabki weakness hoti hai :p . even meri v ye weakness hai. So no need to bother about it. I am not trying to say that one should be brilliant in each section. I am just saying that one should have command over each section. I hope you all are getting my point.
Cick here to Attempt Free Weekly Live Mocks for SSC CHSL 2017/CGL2018
- AT LAST, I want to tell you all that Just keep believe in yourself. There is no substitute for hard labour. Here hard labour doesn’t mean to study for 10 to 12 hours. Here hard labour means that one should study for 5 to 6 hours only with full dedication. Don’t listen to failure people who used to say that You can’t clear SSC/BANK. Just keep believe and I assure you that you will definitely clear the exam. And that will be the slap on the face of those failure people. I also want to make clear that “Kewal suggestion lene se kuch na hoga. Un suggestion ko adopt karna hoga aur apna best dena hoga.” I also used to give suggestions to my friends,they listen to me and they do whatever I say to them for one or two week and again they stop implementing those suggestions in their studies. For example, When I tell my friends to read English Newspaper daily then used to read it for 1 or 2 weeks and they started saying that there is no use of reading newspaper. I want to tell you all that 1 ya 2 week padhne se na hoga.. Study continuously for atleast 4 to 5 months then see the difference in you by yourself.