Simply we can say that Adjectives are describing words. Adjectives are words that describe or modify nouns. Adjectives are usually placed before nouns or pronouns they modify. However, adjectives can occasionally be found after Nouns and Pronouns.
DIFFERENT EXAMPLES OF ADJECTIVES
- Sizes :big, small, large, thin, thick
- Shapes :triangular, round, square, circular
- Colors :black, blue, white, green, red
- Personality :happy, sad, angry, depressed
- Time :Yearly , monthly, annually
- Ages :new, young, old, brand-new, second-hand
- Sounds :Loud, noisy, quiet, silent
- Tastes :juicy, sweet
- Qualities :good, bad, mediocre
COMPARISON OF ADJECTIVES
- POSITIVE DEGREE- the simplest form.
- COMPARATIVE DEGREE- comparing two things or persons.
- SUPERLATIVE DEGREE- comparing three or more things or persons.
EXAMPLES OF REGULAR ADJECTIVES
POSITIVE COMPARATIVE SUPERLATIVE
Big Bigger Biggest
Great greater greatest
Heavy heavier heaviest
Happy happier happiest
EXAMPLES OF IRREGULAR ADJECTIVES
Bad worse worst
Many more most
Well (healthy) better best
RULE 1: In a comparision, the conjunction ‘than‘ should be followed by ‘any other‘ If a person / thing is compared with any other person / thing among some / many.
- Ravi is shorter than any student in the class. ☓
- Ravi is shorter than any other student in the class. ✔
RULE 2 :In comparisons, the monosyllable words like “hot / easy / tall / small” should not be used with more / most.
- He is more taller than Kumar. ☓
- He is taller than Kumar. ✔
RULE 3 : Elder / Eldest should be used with the members of the same family.
Older/ Oldest these comparative adjective denote the age of person / thing.
He is elder to me. (He and me belong to one family). ✔
- This is the eldest tree in the garden ☓
- This is the oldest tree in the garden. ✔
RULE 4 : While comparing the objects, we should see that a noun is compared with another but not with some other word.
- The population of Lucknow is greater than Allahabad ☓
- The population of Lucknow is greater than that of Allahabad (OR) ✔
- The population of Lucknow is greater than the population of Allahabad. ✔