ASSISTANT (Both General & Cypher) IN MEA
Information about Foreign posting
The most sought post under CGLE due to charm of foreign posting and hefty salary package. In foreign posting you’ll get US $1,800 to 2,900 (Rs 1,10,000 to 1,70,000) as foreign allowance depending on the country you are posted in, in addition to your basic pay; and US $400 to 600 as other allowances such as heating or cold allowance.
If a person is interested in a foreign posting he is given a few choices for the needed postings and he is posted according to those choices preferably. There is no compulsion from the ministry on a foreign posting. If you want you can spend your whole of the service tenure in Delhi itself also. You can get even HOME POSTING in RPO (Regional Passport Office.)
You don’t get foreign posting under 2 years of your joining generally. Foreign countries are divided under 5 categories, namely A+, A, B, C and HARD-C.
Name of some countries under different categories are hereunder:
A+: New York, Toronto, Washington DC, Wellington, Geneva, etc.
A: London, Paris, Madrid, Mexico City, Tokyo, Berlin, etc.
B: Shikago, Warshaw, Zurich, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Vienna, Munich, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, Stockholm, Moscow, etc.
C: Thimpu, Kuwait, Manila, Bangkok, Hawana, etc.
HARD-C: Kabul, Damascus, Kandhar, Mazar-e-Sarif, etc.
Assistant (General) gets foreign posting for a period of 3 years normally in one single instance, while it’s a period of 6 years for Assistant (Cypher) after which either you are back in Delhi or are transferred in another country directly from there. In HARD-C countries the posting is only for 1.5 or 2 years. You can carry your own car or bike with you when you are posted abroad, and are entitled to carry 1,500 Kg of luggage. When on a foreign posting you get elite class medical facilities for yourself and dependent family members.
Cyphor Asst. is a little different from Asst. (general) because they have to do the task of coding and decoding of some highly confidential language in addition. Cypher has night shifts also and has to work for 6 days. A system of 2 days off and 2 days will be night shift…..so no Saturday-Sunday like system.
1. Assistant to Administrative Officer in 5 years (If you clear the departmental exam)
Otherwise a promotion in this post is very slow.
2. Under Secretary (IFS)
3. Deputy Secretary
5. Joint Secretary 4 years.
In small countries the Director is posted as the Head of Mission (Consulate General of India). Joint Secretary is an Ambassador level post.
When you become Under Secretary you’ll get IFS Cadre and UPSC will allot you a batch year; thereafter you can call yourself IFS officer. Under Secretary is entitled to get one servant service when posted in a foreign country.
While posted in the HQ you’ll get type-III accommodation (2 rooms + drawing room). MEA has its own quarters at Dawarka, Delhi. There is no waiting list like other ministries/departments where 6,000 or so are found to be in wait everytime and it takes almost 7-8 years for a govt flat to be allotted. In MEA you can get a flat to be allotted after the completion of one year in service. If one or more years of service tenure has already been completed by you in any other department, you can get a govt flat allotted straightaway on your joining of MEA.
In foreign posting the govt provides 3 BHK fully furnished flat in which all household items are there such as refrigerator, sofa, bed, etc. If by chance you don’t get the govt accommodation in time you are entitled to get accommodation in a FIVE-STAR HOTEL with your entire family with you residing.
In foreign postings your children are getting education in world’s best universities such as Cambridge, Howard, New York, American Inter-continental, etc.
Job Experience of Assistant in MEA
We are sharing Job experience of Harendra Tiwari Sir who is posted as Assistant in MEA
If anybody want to go or can go abroad, then nothing is like MEA.
I hv completed my probation recently on 10 Dec. My 2 year experience in MEA is so awesome that even i m thinking 1000 times to go anywhere like in ITI 2013 and Examiner 2014 (sry koi 1 seat kharab jayegi). IT and Examiners guys dont take it either way.
My office is in South block, a historic building nearby PMO & most soughted, VVIP area of the country, many famous faces we see every day and many foreign tourists come here everyday on tour. it gives feels like NAYANSOOKH (Irrelevant point:P). coming to the point
My personal view for MEA is like:
1. The best one is Foreign posting, where an asstt. gets a handsome salary i.e. Rs.160,000- 1,80,000 that will become Rs.180000-230000/- p.m. after 7th pay commission, varies country to country or wo b FREE of INCOME TAX 🙂
2. provides a good exposure in society, locality, Education of children in abroad on the account of govt.
3. facility to get a high level procurement in foreign to the official and his/her dependents is very POSITIVE point or wo b free of cost, accommodatio, free child education.
4. anyone interested can visit many of the countries of the world during the abroad posting.
5. temporary duty for some days to any country with VVIP delegation like i went Nepal in 2014 in SAARC summit with PM delegation.
6. In every govt. nd reputated govt. university/institutes/School/even in AIIMS through PMT, there are some small quota only for MEA officials.
7. one can see the real work of govt. practically and ofcorse he/she will be the part of it.
8. now u can say Asstt. section officer…not so imp. point..naam me kya rakha h.
9. it is easier for a genuine candidate to crack UPSC rather than deployed to any other dept. (personal opinion).
10. MEA hv its separate quarter, so one can get quarter maximum in one and half year.
11. any Jugadu banda/bandi can go to his/her State RPO office on deputation for a tenure of max. 5 years.
1. Social life will be cut when u go abroad for 3 years..u could be in touch by Internet only…pata nahi chalta kis relative ki shadi ho gyi..bacche kb ho gye
2. sometimes it creats problem for childs as that child hv to survive in diff. culture,society when in abroad or when in India.
3. Marriage: Boys can handle the situation if married to some MEA girl or non-job girl BUT what about girls?? MEA wali girls bina job wale se kregi nahi (Dignity)..and job wale se kre to they hv to do it only in MEA otherwise other job wala bandi k sath posting nahi ja payega (again dignity).
PS: I hv written here what i saw, feel in two years. 10% views can vary person to person, but 90% are like universal truth 😛